Thursday, April 5, 2007

F-22A Raptor metallic paint done

I spent many hours yesterday masking areas I've painted neutral gray on the F-22A and finally painted all the camo scheme on it. I based my painting technique on an article posted in Aircraft Resource Center which is a good airplanes focused scale modeling site. In their forums some real raptor pilots confirmed that the paint finish looks pretty close to the real one.

Instead of using Model Master enamel metallic paints like the article indicates, I tried some other paints I already had on hand. After some test, Alclad's Dark Aluminium and Steel were the colors my eyeball mk.I chose that matched the tones.

I was going to paint the camo pattern freehand, but decided to use a template instead. I rescaled an overhead shot of a random raptor, printed and cut the pattern trying to follow the curves from the pattern of Raptor Serial No. 04-062 which are the decals I'll be using. The template will help me minimize overspray and follow closely on the pattern of the plane I chose.



After painting it, it looks kinda weird and too shiny unlike the photos of the real deal. But that's because I haven't done the tinting overcoat which will tone it down and will give it a subtle gray color when not exposed to direct light. Decaling will follow, another clearcoat, weathering and finally a flat clearcoat in a few days.




No comments: